After grabbing a Roku 3 today I found myself in the unfortunate situation where it would not connect to my home network, which is driven by a SuperHub 2 from Virgin Media. I would receive ‘Error 013’ when trying to connect via ethernet and ‘Error 014’ connecting via wireless. Fortunately with a bit of faffing this can be fixed. To get it sorted you’ll need to connect your Roku to a alternate network with internet access, run a firmware update and then change a top secret option.
This is all obviously at your own risk. I’d assume the menus are top secret for a reason!
- Turn on your Roku
- Connect your Roku to an alternate network. I tethered mine to my phone. This is for a firmware update so keep in mind any data usage limits.
- Press the home button 5 times, fast forward button 3 times and rewind button twice
- Run the software update (even if your Roku already thinks it is up to date)
- Wait for the Roku to reboot then access another top secret menu by pressing the home button 5 times, fast forward button once, play button once, rewind button once, play button once, followed lastly by pressing the fast forward button once.
- Disable network pings in the menu and select ‘Back’
- Hook the Roku up to your SuperHub
Your Roku will now connect to your enternet or wireless Virgin SuperHub’ed network allowing to continue with the set up wizard. Good times!